Friday, January 26, 2007

Kaua'i, Day 7

Jenny was feeling a little better today, which was good since she had to go to work for the mission tonight. We first picked up my rental car so I could get around while she's working for the next couple days. Afterwards, we met up at a store that sells gifts and beautiful, handmade jewelry from gems and shells. They have a large collection of Ni'ihau Shell Lays, which are as amazing as they are expensive. We shopped around for a little while, and afterwards went to Puka Dogs so Jenny could try it out before she had to head to work.

In the afternoon, I rented a body board and headed to Shipwreck Beach for the rest of the day. The waves were about 2 feet with very occasional 3-4 sets (though I did get hammered by one 6+ foot set that broke further out), so it was a nice calm day and there would be virtually no danger of rip currents. Now, when I surfed all the time growing up in Florida I was very much in shape, and could paddle around all day long with no trouble. Just paddling around for the first 10 minutes, I totally had forgot, and now remembered, how much work surfing/body-boarding actually was. It didn't help that I neglected to rent fins to go with the board.

Anyway, I had a great time and came back to the condo, got cleaned up, and headed out to the west coast to watch the mission. I was super excited because the sky was perfectly clear, and I was sitting on the beach in excellent position to see the whole mission unfold live. Unfortunately, after nearly 2 hours of waiting, I learned that the mission was scrapped for the day due to various "environmental" reasons. I was a little bummed since I was supposed to leave Friday afternoon and wouldn't get another chance to see our system live. However, the sunset and star-gazing was so perfect, that I didn't feel like I waited for nothing.

I stopped by Brick Oven pizza and picked up some dinner and headed home, and Jenny and I watched a movie before heading to bed. Also, we discussed changing my flight so that I would leave Saturday instead of Friday, so we'll see tomorrow if that is a possibility.

No comments: